Jun 06, 2018

Majority was made to disappear – OMP chief (video)

The head of the Office of Missing Persons has admitted to be the truth the allegations that the persons handed over to the military nine years ago had been made to disappear.

Saliya Peiris made the remark in front of the protestors, who were staging an agitation in front of the Mullaitivu district secretariat demanding to know the fate of the missing.

Promising to give priority to their demand, Peiris sought their cooperation in the investigations.

He said any information could be provided even secretly, or through Mariyasuresh Eswari, who led the protest.

Problems even the president failed to resolve 

The people, who have been protesting for more than 450 days and boycotted the OMP sittings in Mullaitivu inquired from its chief whether he could find answers to the problems which even the president failed to resolve.

Peiris promised to function impartially, while the protestors, mainly women, demanded that at least 100 of the persons given to military custody be freed to show the honesty of the OMP.
SarathFonseka 670px 21 01 17

Fabrications by a few – Sarath Fonseka

However, Sarath Fonseka, who led the war against the LTTE, has rejected during an interview to Al Jazeera the claims by these peoples, as being fabrications by a few.

Refuting such statements, the head of the OMP said he was in the process of obtaining a list of those who had surrendered to the military.

However, he said that his office had no powers to punish anyone found to be guilty.

 

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

Top