Apr 26, 2019

“Not my fault”- resigned Defence Secretary claims Featured

Issuing a statement prior to tendering his resignation, former Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando said he had forwarded all intelligence information regarding the Easter Sunday attacks to the relevant institutions for action following the standard procedures.

He claims that all advice and orders had also been given and at a time when there was no emergency or any other special situation enforced in the country, the entire responsibility lies with the Police, which had conducted arrests and search operations.

The statement also noted that President Maithripala Sirisena had appointed a special committee to inquire if the security establishments had flouted their responsibility while the Defence Ministry is also conducting an independent inquiry into this matter.

While Hemasiri Fernando has come under fire over the Easter Sunday attacks, he had confided in several media heads that he had in fact immediately notified the relevant political authorities regarding the warning. However he had said that in order to protect these political authorities he would have to resign from his post.

Thusitha 670px 19 04 25Acting Defence Secretary Thusitha P. Wanigasinghe

Subsequent to Hemasiri Fernando handing in his resignation to the Presidential Secretariat, senior administrative officer Thusitha P. Wanigasinghe has been appointed as the Acting Defence Secretary, it is reported.
Wanigasinghe serves as the Additional Secretary of the Defence Ministry Law and Order Division. Previously, he had also served as the Ampara District Secretary.

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

Top